Smoothies: The Nutritional Pros And Cons for Your Body
The first information about smoothies dates back to the last century, to be exact, to the early seventies. It was then that the first "healthy cafe" of its kind appeared in the U.S., where smoothies were made from fruits and berries ground in a blender - smoothies.
A smoothie is a thick drink made from fresh or fresh-frozen berries, fruits, or vegetables chopped to a purée in a blender; add nuts, milk, or cereal flakes are not excluded.
Smoothies, the benefits of which have been repeatedly proven, are now known to all as a complete meal that saturates the body with valuable elements and vitamins. All supporters of proper nutrition and a healthy lifestyle actively include these healthy smoothies in their diet.
Want to lose weight with a smoothie? Read more here - Smoothie Diet Plan
According to the classic smoothie preparation technology, the smoothie includes berries or fruit, and milk or water is added to make the smoothie a little less thick. Modern recipes can consist of other ingredients such as vegetables, nuts, grains, herbs, yogurt, syrup, etc.
Smoothies are trendy in the summer when berries and fruits are available in large quantities. Still, smoothies are even more helpful in winter because precisely in the winter period, the body lacks vitamins and such cocktails - a treasure trove of valuable substances.
Smoothies: benefits and harms for the body
An excellent substitute for the usual juices can be rich smoothies - smoothies. They are thicker, using the whole fruit for cooking. Therefore, the content of nutrients in them is much higher. Such smoothies can be an alternative to snacks on the run, such as candy or sandwiches.
Let's take a closer look at the qualities of the drink and determine: smoothies are good or bad for the body.
The benefits of smoothies
The main benefits of smoothies, or a few reasons why it is desirable to include this drink in your daily diet:
- A single smoothie can replenish your body's daily supply of vitamins. It is scientifically proven that the daily consumption of fruits and vegetables is beneficial to health, but what if you can't take these products with you as a snack? You can combine them into a smoothie and enjoy the pleasant taste of a smoothie.
- Quick and easy to prepare. There is nothing complicated in preparing a vitamin smoothie: you need to choose the desired ingredients, put them in the bowl of a blender and mix until smooth.
- Smoothies are an excellent substitute for sweets. Suppose you can't imagine your life without sweets. In that case, a fruit smoothie with the addition of a spoonful of honey or sweet syrup will be an excellent healthy alternative to fast carbohydrates, which are not useful at all.
- The low-calorie content of the drink. Are smoothies beneficial for weight loss? This drink has very few calories, but it can quench hunger for a long time, so it is often included in various programs for weight loss.
- Normalize the work of the digestive system. The crazy rhythm of life makes people constantly rush somewhere, so there is often not enough time for a regular and complete meal; most replace the necessary meal with a tea and a sandwich, which harms the body. Lack of essential elements, such as fiber, leads to stomach malfunctions. A few fruits grated into a smoothie can help solve this problem.
- Cleanses the body of toxins. Every day the body is affected by many negative factors. With food, water, air, we get an unpleasant collection of harmful substances, which tend to accumulate in the body and poison it from the inside. Potent detox cocktails contribute to the effective purification of the body.
- Smoothies are suitable for people actively engaged in sports, and they contribute to recovery from training and building muscle.
- Freshly made cocktails positively affect the body's overall condition, energizing and filling with vitamins.
- Elixir of Youth. If the body is not deficient in nutrients and vitamins, the skin will be perfect: moisturized, smooth, and clean.
- Proper nutrition is the key to a healthy body. Smoothies are one of the main components of a healthy diet because they consist of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- It is strengthening the immune system. Many of us face seasonal colds because the body lacks vitamins throughout the year, and the immune system gradually weakens and can not resist infection. Daily consumption of vitamin smoothies dramatically strengthens the immune system and protects the body from colds.
- Full-fledged sleep. If the body's overall condition improves, then the person will not face problems with sleep, which means that he will be full of energy every day.
- Healthy but specific ingredients, such as celery, herbs, or spinach, can be harmoniously added to smoothies. Many people do not like their particular flavors, but they will be masked in smoothies, and the benefits of these ingredients will be provided.
- Delicious cocktails positively affect energy: after all, a healthy body, filled with vitamins, always radiates positive energy.
- Smoothies activate brain activity and improve memory.
The harm of smoothies
Smoothies can only be harmful if you consume them excessively (several times a day) or replace solid foods with smoothies or allergic reactions to the smoothie ingredients.
If you follow the basic rules for making smoothies, it will positively affect the body and fill it with vitamins and energy. So, the basic rules for creating a healthy smoothie:
- You can get most of your vitamins by adding green ingredients like spinach, lettuce, mint, and parsley to smoothies.
- To give the smoothie its characteristic consistency, it is necessary to choose a suitable base. The base can be avocado, banana, pear, or others.
- Do not ignore the addition of protein. Dairy products, nuts, and seeds are sources of protein.
- Choose the consistency of the cocktail according to your taste: it can be a little more or a little less homogeneous. It all depends on preference.
- Avoid adding sugar; sweet fruits such as banana and mango can replace it. As a last resort, you can add a spoonful of honey, but don't overdo the sweetness.
- Doctors recommend drinking smoothies in the first half of the day to maximize energy and benefit the body as a whole. It is also important to remember that only freshly prepared smoothies are suitable for consumption and maximum benefit because under the influence of oxygen and light, the vitamins die, and only a tasty cocktail is left, which will not have the necessary effect.
Answering the question "Smoothie - good or bad for the body?", we can safely say that this cocktail positively affects the overall condition, charging energy and vitamins, the main thing is to maintain a balance and know the measure of consumption, so as not to provoke possible negative nuances, which we will talk about further.
There are no contraindications for including smoothies in your diet. Still, it is worth remembering that, despite all the uses mentioned above of smoothies, you should always know the measure and stick to the norm: because the excess of benefits can also be detrimental.
Homemade smoothies are one hundred percent natural and are a vitamin cocktail.
Freshly made smoothies contain some vitamins, trace elements, rich in fiber and antioxidants. But if you do not want to feel the harm of smoothies to the body, you should remember that you should not get too carried away with this drink. And here's why.
Smoothies, although healthy, are often laced with honey, sugar, or other sweeteners, and these are not particularly helpful and can lead to excess sugar in the body, thus causing weight problems or hormonal imbalances. It is best to cut back on sweeteners - then you can get the full benefit of the drink.
To saturate your body with valuable elements, you should keep a balance and consume no more than one glass of smoothie a day. Are smoothies harmful? No, if you observe the norm, but if you abuse the smoothie, you can face the following troubles:
- If you replace whole meals with liquid or pureed smoothies, the strain on your teeth and gums is significantly reduced. To keep your teeth healthy, you need to give them a certain amount of exercise to chew and bite: this stimulates the secretion of saliva, a natural antiseptic. If there is no chewing, there is not enough saliva, so the teeth are not cleaned properly, bacteria multiply, and cavities and other problems like plaque develop.
- Although smoothies can replace a full meal, they are not juices that lack fiber. There is enough fiber in smoothies but not enough fiber alone to maintain the necessary load on the stomach. The lack of solid food disturbs the gastrointestinal tract, resulting in an increased likelihood of constipation.
- If unwashed or stale ingredients are used for cooking, you can easily be poisoned.
- Also, drinking smoothies without a tube put a lot of stress on the tooth enamel, leading to increased sensitivity.
- If you consume too many smoothies, which include dairy components, it significantly increases cholesterol levels in the body and, as a consequence, there are problems with the cardiovascular system.
Another tip. Harmful to the body, smoothies can be found in stores or cafes. It would help if you did not get addicted to smoothies in restaurants because by making a drink at home, you know precisely its composition.
But in public catering, you can often run into shoddy work and get under the guise of smoothies just a thick cocktail with various flavors that have nothing to do with naturalness and certainly will not be helpful.