Best Flat Stomach Workouts for Women and Men
Excessive inches around the waist cause a lot of inconvenience to overweight people, causing complexes and self-doubt. In the pursuit of an ideal body, skinny people are willing to do a lot: grueling diets, exhausting workouts in the gym, or even taking drugs - in the course of many things goes. Today we will talk about a set of exercises for losing weight belly and sides. Are they effective? What results should we expect? Let's analyze in more detail in this article.
Practical exercises for losing weight on the stomach and sides
Physical exercise is perfect for the body because:
- strengthen the immune system;
- improve the function of the cardiovascular system;
- increase strength, endurance;
- reduce the likelihood of depression and apathy because while exercising activates the production of the "happiness hormone" - serotonin;
- intensify the supply of oxygen to the cells;
- stimulate brain function, improve concentration, performance, and aptitude for learning;
- reduce insomnia, make sleep better, more profound;
- slow down the aging process of cells and tissues;
- normalize metabolism;
- strengthen the muscular corset and improve posture.
The main thing is to choose an individual set of exercises that corresponds to skills and health. For example, many types of fitness are contraindicated for people who are pretty overweight because they can cause knee and lower back injuries, high blood pressure, and more. In this case, a workout is ideal for a simple walk. It is scientifically proven that walking for 30-40 minutes every day significantly reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, improves health, and increases the body's overall tone.
Causes of Excess Fat
Fat in the abdomen and flanks can accumulate for a variety of reasons:
- Health problems. Excessive centimeters around the waist can indicate the presence of various diseases, as well as visceral fat. This is how? - Deposits around the internal organs interfere with the normal functioning of systems.
- Improper lifestyle: sedentary work, an abundance of fatty foods, fast food, lack of sleep - all this can be the cause of excess fat. How's that?
- Psychological factors: the inability to cope with the various circumstances of life, the habit of "eating" stress, eating out of a company, or boredom.
Obesity appears due to one or more reasons at the same time, so an effective fight against excessive pounds requires a comprehensive approach: work with a psychologist to form proper eating habits, exercise, and proper nutrition.
Where do I start my training?
You must exercise regularly, at least three times a week. Only then will you get visible results. Each workout should be divided into two parts: cardio and power.
Cardio-exercises help the body to cheer up, prepare for the upcoming workout, in addition:
- help speed up the metabolism;
- reduce levels of cortisol, the so-called "stress hormone," an excess of which often leads to overeating and disruption of sleep;
- improve the cardiovascular and respiratory systems, increasing endurance;
- actively burn calories when compared to the second power part of the class.
The cardio warm up should include intense exercises that change rapidly so that the body does not have time to get used to them. You can alternate between jumping and running with a high hip lift, squats, and lunges. It is optimal that this part should last at least 20 minutes, and for weight loss, it will be helpful to arrange a full cardio workout 2-3 times weekly for 40-60 minutes. Even a brisk walk at a fast pace would be a great option.
A complex of exercises for burning fat
Currently, in the world of fitness, the so-called interval training in different systems is actively used. Experts recognize them as the most effective: one type of load replaces another, so the body does not have time to get used to it, constantly working at the limit, actively burning calories. Such training strengthens muscles, cardiovascular and respiratory systems, improves metabolism, accelerates protein synthesis.
These workouts include three main groups of exercises:
- Aerobic: running, biking, brisk walking, skipping, jumping, dancing. They increase heart rate, increase perspiration, help the body warm-up, prepare for the next part.
- Strength exercises: twists, plank, bends, leg lifts. They are designed to strengthen the muscles.
- Gymnastics or stretching is the final stage of the workout, which helps to relax, restore breathing and heart rate.
Yoga may be suitable for women for weight loss, asanas (movements, exercises) that smoothly replace each other, help calm down, and reduce stress, but are good enough to work for the main muscle groups. You can do them at home and replace the mat with an ordinary towel.
Running or walking
Running or walking - which to choose for weight loss? Most people would probably say that the first option is definitely in the lead. For many people, a leisurely walk seems like an ordinary activity that can in no way contribute to fat burning. Is it so? Let's analyze the main differences:
- Walking strengthens the calf muscles, strengthening the chest, back, shoulder girdle, hips, and buttocks.
- During jogging, a person experiences a "flight phase," which causes a relatively large impact load on the spine and joints. There is no such phase in walking.
- Walking is safe, which is not the case with running, which significantly increases the likelihood of injuries and various pathologies due to the increased strain on the heart, respiratory system, spine, and joints.
Running and walking have different effects on each person. If there are no health problems, jogging gives moral and physical pleasure, and then it is better to choose it for weight loss. If there are problems with the cardiovascular system, the spine, the joints, or every exit for a run causes moral discomfort, then walking is the best option. In this case, it is desirable to walk for at least an hour, keeping a relatively fast pace. The daily rate will be about 8000-10000 thousand steps or 5-7 kilometers - it is a recipe for longevity, a good remedy for many diseases.
Fitness instructors consider the "Planka" exercise a classic because it engages almost all major muscle groups:
- press: engage the straight and oblique abdominal muscles;
- back: it strengthens the lower back and corrects the posture;
- large pectoral, deltoid;
When performing the plank exercise, the load is evenly distributed over all muscle groups, due to which the effectiveness is ensured. In addition, when executed correctly, there is no load on the knee joints, making the plank available to people with locomotor system disorders, but only after consultation with a doctor and under the guidance of an experienced fitness instructor.
The classical plank belongs to the isometric group of exercises: when performed correctly, there is no load on the joints, the body remains stationary, statically fixed. It has two varieties:
- The emphasis is on straight arms. This option is the easiest and most accessible to beginners because the load is on the legs.
- Elbow rest. This position is more difficult to hold because the weight is distributed evenly between all supporting points: forearms, elbows, and leg muscles. It takes a lot of effort to keep the body level.
To do this, you have to rest your arms or elbows straight, like you would for a push-up. The body should be stretched in a straight line. The exercise has a second name - "plank", which accurately describes the essence of the pose: there should be no sagging in the lower back, buttocks, legs straightened, knees tucked up. Hold this position for 20-30 seconds, during which you will feel all muscle groups. You may also feel a slight tremor or a feeling of warmth. All this indicates the correct performance. The plank is easy to perform at home, and it does not require any special equipment or form.
The side plank engages the muscles at the waist and sides. It can also be performed with a straight arm and elbow, and the sequence is as follows:
- take the position as for the classical plank;
- turn the body 90 degrees, taking a stable position: one hand rests on the floor, the mat, the other should be lifted;
- pull the whole body in one line. There should be a feeling of tension around the waist, the lateral muscles of the torso;
- fix the position for 20-30 seconds.
Side plank requires control of balance and balance, improves coordination, concentration.
It can be difficult for a woman to achieve a flat stomach due to anatomical features: to carry a child, you need a sufficient amount of fat.
But in most cases, of course, excess weight is a consequence of poor diet, lack of exercise, and psychological problems. The main thing is to take care of yourself in time, and you can start with the most straightforward exercise - twisting.
There are several varieties:
- Reverse (or leg lifts).
- The oblique ones are the elbow-knee ones.
They can be performed at home using only a mat or at the gym using special equipment. In the section " Exercises lying on the floor", let's look at the technique in more detail below.
Recently, breathing exercises have become widespread, ensuring that you can use them to remove a sagging belly and flanks in a short period. It can be used as a supplement to yoga poses or regular fitness to strengthen the respiratory system. In addition, such exercises can be used as a meditation, for relaxation, calming. They can be an excellent weapon to combat stress.
But with all this, every sensible person should understand that reliably and without harm to health, to remove a hanging belly is possible only through constant training, calorie deficit, and change eating habits. These breathing techniques will only help accelerate the process.
Jumping rope is an excellent way to start and end a workout. It will help the body to cheer up, stretch, and warm up before the power part. In addition, regular jumping:
- improve coordination ;
- contribute to the development of the cardiovascular system;
- strengthen the lungs and airways;
- correct posture.
Three to five minutes before and after training is enough to increase the effectiveness of the exercise. The only nuance - jumping rope is contraindicated to people with heart and spine diseases, women during menstruation, pregnancy, as well as with a high degree of obesity.
Another fairly common way for women to reduce the volume in the abdomen and waist - exercise with a particular gymnastic hoop - hula hoop. It can help, but its effect will be local - a few centimeters will be removed from the body area, all other areas will remain untouched.
In addition, it does not strengthen the muscles but only has a massage effect and promotes the outflow of lymph. Hula hoop can leave bruises and bruises on the skin. It all depends on its weight and the quality of the rubber from which it is made.
Exercise with a hula hoop is contraindicated for women during critical days and pregnancy, gynecological diseases, skin rash, itching, or irritation.
Bending down helps to strengthen the lateral abdominal muscles and the waist. This is a simple but quite effective exercise, familiar to many people from their school days. The technique is as follows:
- starting position is standing, feet shoulder-width apart;
- as you exhale, lift your right hand and bend to the left, as if squeezing your left side;
- on an inhale, return to the starting position;
- on an exhalation, make a twist in the other direction.
You can take 0.5-1.5 kg dumbbells in your hands or attach weights to your wrists to enhance the effect. This will engage the muscles of the quadriceps, biceps, chest, and back.
Exercises lying on the floor
Not everyone can afford a subscription to a fitness center or find the time to visit it, and the solution will be a workout at home without equipment. They need only a mat.
Lifting the body while lying on your back
The starting position is lying on your back, legs bent at the knees, standing on the floor. As you exhale, lift your head, neck, and shoulder blades off the floor, and as you inhale, slowly return to the starting position. It is recommended to do 2-3 repetitions of 15-20 times.
It is necessary to go up and down slowly, so you will feel more tension, and the effect of the workout will be better. It is possible to combine raising the body with any cardio exercise. You will get good interval training:
- 30 jumps with a jump rope;
- 10 lifts of the body lying on his back;
- 10 jumps on the spot;
- 20 seconds in the bar;
- 20 bends to the side (10 on each side);
- 30 jumps on the rope.
Three or four of these laps will take 10-15 minutes but will work almost all muscle groups - the perfect exercise for early morning. You can do it five times a week, which will significantly improve your physical form.
Lying down leg raises
Leg raises or reverses curls are an effective exercise for the lower abdomen, often the most problematic area for women. The technique is as follows:
- The starting position is lying on the back, with the lower back and buttocks pressed firmly to the floor. This should be taken into account when doing the exercise, otherwise unpleasant. Painful sensations may occur in the lumbar region;
- As you exhale, raise your legs to about 45 degrees, you will feel a muscular tension in your lower abdomen;
- As you breathe in, put your feet down.
Beginners can take turns raising their legs to make the exercise easier. For advanced athletes, on the contrary, you can make it more challenging: on an exhalation, lift your head, neck, shoulder blades, and legs off the floor and pull them toward each other.
The scissors exercise works the rectus and oblique abdominals as well as the front surface of the thighs. It is more suitable for advanced athletes because it is a more complicated version of the previous exercise.
The technique of performance:
- The starting position is lying on the back, buttocks, lower back, and shoulder blades firmly pressed to the floor;
- As you exhale, raise your legs at an angle of about 45 degrees and do "scissors" with them about 8-10 times while holding this position.
It is recommended to take at least three approaches, add to interval training. To make it more difficult, you can put weights on your ankles.
Elbow-Knee Press Exercise
"Elbow-Knee" helps to strengthen the oblique abdominal muscles, to perform it is necessary:
- take the initial position lying on your back, knees bent, lower back pressed firmly to the floor;
- arms behind head, elbows apart;
- as you exhale, you must lift your torso off the floor: head, neck, shoulder blades;
- do a twist, bring your left elbow to your right knee;
- on an inhale, return to the starting position;
- on exhalation, change sides.
Repeat 8-10 times for each side. The exercise can also be included in interval training.
The exercise "bicycle" is familiar to many people since school or even kindergarten. It is pretty helpful and practical for the abdominal muscles and promotes their active workout. The technique is as follows:
- starting position is lying on your back, with your lower back pressed firmly to the floor, and your legs bent at the knees;
- arms crossed behind his head;
- as you exhale, you need to detach your head, neck, and shoulder blades from the mat;
- do "bicycle" with your legs for 10-20 seconds, and the time depends on your fitness level.
"Cycling" should be done at least three times. You should feel warmth and tension in the abdominal muscles.
Opinion of an expert
Experienced fitness instructors say bluntly: do not believe tempting "before and after" photos, mythical reviews promising to pump up your butt or build abs in 10 days. Work on the body - a long process that combines regular exercise and proper nutrition and works with psychology. Already explained this sequence, see above. Restrictions in food and exhausting classes will not give results if a person does not know how to cope with stress, eat serious situations and problems in life, or always eat for a company with all the housewives.
Therefore for quality, competent weight loss without harm to health, both physical and psychological, it is better to turn to the specialists of the weight loss clinic. Only they will be able to approach the issue comprehensively, to choose such a methodology, which will quickly enter your life and reliably fix and become a part of it.
We advise you to read a structured, detailed review of the weight loss program: The Flat Belly Fix System.